7 Ways to Boost Your Metabolism
You may want to lose weight or maintain your current weight. You may be searching for a way to boost your energy level or, as in my case, find a way to justify that piece of cake after dinner. Whatever the reason, boosting your metabolism is a great way to maintain good health. Having a sluggish metabolism can make you feel tired and listless but it can also cause you to gain weight because you are not burning calories efficiently.
If you want more energy or you want to drop a few pounds, try these 7 ways to boost metabolism.
1. Start with a healthy breakfast – This is one of the easiest ways to boost metabolism. Start with a meal full of protein that is less than 300 to 400 calories.
2. Use what you drink to boost metabolism – Drinking ice cold water will boost metabolism because you body must work harder to heat up the liquid in your stomach. A small caffeine drink (like your morning coffee) can help by raising your heart rate to increase metabolism.
3. Get your vitamins and minerals – B vitamins and magnesium are key to boosting your metabolism. Inadequate levels of B6, B12, foliate and thiamin can make you feel sluggish and cause your metabolism to slow down. Adding magnesium to your diet in the form of green vegetables, whole-grain cereals, oatmeal, cashews, almonds and lentils will boost your metabolism and help with your overall health.
4. Add the right snacks to your day – Snacking on small, healthy portions of the right food during the day can boost your metabolism and give you a quick pickup. It also keeps you from overeating at meals and feeling lethargic throughout the day. Try healthy carbs and proteins such as a banana with peanut butter, an apple with low-fat Cheddar cheese or carrots and celery.
5. Add HIIT to your workout routine – High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) has been proven to boost metabolismand burn more calories. HIIT combines repeated high-intensity workouts with periods of recovery in between sessions. A trainer is the best source of information and advice on how to add this to your workout routine.
6. Drink more water – Your body needs water, everyone knows that; however, do you also know that it is important for your metabolism. If you do not drink enough water, your metabolism will decrease.
7. Spice up your diet – Some studies show that adding hot peppers and other hot spices to your diet will ramp up your metabolism. Mix in some peppers and onions in an omelet or add some to beef stew to give it a different flavor.
The one key element to maintaining a good metabolism - - keep moving. If you feel lethargic, it could be that you are too sedentary. Start moving and your metabolism will follow you.
Image credit: Neeta Lind